Every student enrolled in a Catholic School in the State of Texas shall be immunized against vaccine preventable diseases caused by infectious agents in accordance with the immunization schedule adopted by the Texas Department of State Health Services. A student who fails to present the required evidence shall not be accepted for enrollment. The only exception to the foregoing requirement is a medical exemption signed by a licensed physician (M.D. or D.O.) authorized to practice in the State of Texas, including the physician's license number.
Immunizations are not in conflict with the Catholic faith. Conscientious objections or waivers, which may be permissible for attendance in public schools, do not qualify as an exemption in Catholic Schools in Texas. (Atty. Gen. Op. GA-0420)
This policy was adopted by Texas Catholic Conference Education Department, December 2008 and voted on April 3, 2017 to keep as written with no changes by the Bishops of Texas.
Immunizations must be in accordance with the following schedule:
Diptheria/tetanus/pertussis containing vaccine:
- Ages 3 and 4 years: 4 doses
- Kindergarten entry: 5 doses required, one dose on or after 4th birthday or 4 doses if the 4th dose was given on or after the 4th birthday
- 7th grade entry: Required to have one booster of tetanus/diptheria/pertussis containing vaccine, if at least 5 years have passed since the last dose of a tetanus-containing vaccine or when the 5 year interval has lapsed (Tdap booster).
- 8th grade entry: One dose (Tdap booster) when 10 years have passed since the last dose
Hepatitis A: 2 doses
- 1st dose is to be given on or after age 1 for children in grades PK3, PK4, and grades K-8th
- 2nd dose is to be given a minimum of 6 months after the 1st dose, grades PK3, PK4, and grades K-8th
Hepatitis B: 3 doses required for all students grades PK3, PK4 and K-8th
HibCV: Minimum 1 dose required for students younger than 5 years after 15 months or a primary series with a booster on or after age 1
Meningococcal Conjugate (MCV4): One dose for students for entry into grades 7th and 8th on or after the student's 11th birthday.
- Ages 3 and 4 years: One dose required on or after age 1
- Kindergarten through 8th entry: Two doses required with the 1st dose on or after age 1
MMR/M: Students vaccinated prior to 2009 with two doses of measles and one dose each of rubella and mumps will satisfy this requirement.
Pneumococcal: Minimum 1 dose required for students 59 months and younger, given after age 2. (Unless a primary series of 2 doses was received under the age of 1 with a booster given after age 1.)
- Ages 3 and 4 years: 3 doses required
- Kindergarten entry: 4 doses required, one dose on or after 4th birthday unless the 3rd dose was given on or after the 4th birthday. (Required for grades K-8th)
- Ages 3 and 4 years: 1 dose required
- Kindergarten through 8th entry: 2 doses required